Wednesday, August 26, 2009

In Memorium

Photobucket
Teddy
1932-2009

About the last of the great men of my childhood. When Robert was shot my family was very shaken, we were big Democrats. But then I leaned "there's a third one." I was really never aware of him before. We kept looking to him as I looked to the Beatles to reunite "someday" for that one last great album. Like the wait for the Beatles it was never to be. I was deeply disappointed when he failed to win the party's nomination 1980. He did achieve a great deal. I followed his career in the Senate. We used him in debate whenever health care was an issue.

He did get lost in his own grief for a time and his behavior was atrocious, even as he was a great senator. But he did repent. Many Christians, affected by the Regan thing will scorn him. But he was a Catholic, he did repent of his sinful way of life. He never forsook his calling for social consciousness. He always maintained a deep compassion for suffering people.

3 comments:

tinythinker said...

From Think Progress:

Early this morning, news broke that Sen. Ted Kennedy had passed away after serving in the U.S. Senate for nearly 50 years. Soon after, conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart began a sustained assault on Kennedy’s memory, tweeting “Rest in Chappaquiddick.”

Over the course of the next three hours, Breitbart unapologetically attacked Kennedy, calling him a “villain,” “a big ass motherf@#$er,” a “duplicitous bastard” and a “prick.” “I’ll shut my mouth for Carter. That’s just politics. Kennedy was a special pile of human excrement,” wrote Breitbart in one tweet.

Joseph Hinman (Metacrock) said...

I have an answer to all that. But it might not be Christian.

tinythinker said...

Well, what would you expect from the extreme right? And by the way, I got dinged for questioning the civility of the far left for dancing and pissing on Bob Novak's grave just a week or two ago. Civility is in need of resurrection.